MeTA – Multicultura e Traiettorie Artistiche is a training project curated by Ariella Vidach AiEP, dedicated to youngh people under 35 who wish to start a professional career in the field of culture and live entertainment as organizers, curators, cultural operators.
In order to achieve this goalMeTA has carried out a significant work to support youth employment in the artistic and cultural sphere,aiming at the creation of a multicultural team of young operators, including Italians and the children of immigrants born and / or raised in Italy, noting how creativity and imagination can lead to innovative, inclusive, sustainable and intercultural solutions, if rooted in prolific ground.
8 months of field training experience
10 months for the evolution of cultural projects developed within the main project
The primary purposes of the project were:
- Creation of an intercultural team of operators that integrates young Italians and children of immigrants, born and / or raised in Italy. Special attention was given to the engagement of young people from the nearby Chinese community of Chinatown and second generation immigrants. The young people were trained in the different areas of the cultural organization, involved in the planning and management of dedicated artistic projects, developing business skills and teamwork and networking abilities;
- Team training on innovative practices: use of new technologies, audience development, new forms of sustainability for cultural organizations;
- Promotion of dialogue and an intercultural and interdisciplinary approach among the young people of the team and in the cultural system;
- Realization by the team of 3 artistic projects with a focus on multicultural themes and Integration;
- New opportunities for youth employment in the arts and culture.
First Phase – CALL
Open call: September 25-30, 2016
Thursday, October 13, 2016 h 5.30 pm public presentation of the project at DiDStudio, Fabbrica del Vapore, via Procaccini 4 Milano
Open call closing: November 13 at 12.00 pm only by mail
Second Phase – COACHING WEEK, FROM JANUARY 10 TO MARCH 15, 2017
THEMATIC AREAS COVERED IN THE COACHING WEEK
A-CULTURAL DESIGN: FROM THE IDEA TO THE PROJECT
B-COMMUNICATION: mass media and social media
C- AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT
D-ELEMENTS OF ECONOMIC DESIGN
E- THE ECONOMIC SUSTAINABILITY OF CULTURAL PROJECTS
F- LOGISTICS AND TECHNICAL ORGANIZATIONAL PROBLEMS
Third Phase – COACHING SEASON
FROM APRIL 10 TO JULY 21, 2017
The selected subjects were asked to choose the area on which to focus the work of the following months (e.g. communication – cultural planning – organizational management), in order to interact with the company’s office and learn in the field how to conceive, plan and coordinate public events, thanks to the active involvement in the planning of exhibitions and the management of a professional company.
Fourth Phase – LEARNING BY WORKING
FROM SEPTEMBER 2017 TO MARCH 2018
The young people involved in the following 10 months have independently conceived and organized 3 CULTURAL PROJECTS focused on intercultural dialogue and interdisciplinarity
Creativity and communication from an intercultural perspective
Integration and Interculture
Project 1 – MAPPING MILANO
Project 2 – L’Orizzonte è vicino
Project 3 – BACKstage
LEARNING BY DOING AS LEARNING BY WORKING
Learning-by-doing is a concept of economic theory for which productivity is enriched by practice, by the constant improvement of one’s skills and by the improvement that derives from the achievement of experience.
Inspired by this methodology, MeTA offers participants the opportunity to deal directly with the working dimension by refining their skills and allowing the acquisition of basic notions in the organizational and production field, with which, beyond theory, it is necessary to deal directly.
The involvement of the participants was proposed at two levels:
Learning by working in coaching and support for strategic objectives defined by Aiep as part of its programming of shows and projects. This phase began immediately after the end of the Coaching week and continued for the entire duration of the project.
Method used:assignment of tasks and responsabilities that can be performed with progressively autonomy on the basis of an operational plan shared with the tutor or the professional in coaching assigned and increasing levels of delegation. In the preparation of the guide plan, space was left for operational moments where it will be possible for the project participant to measure himself with his ability to search for innovative organizational solutions and operational practices, giving his own personal and creative contribution.
The assignment of objectives within the different areas of organizational competence was carried out by considering the activities in progress and personal attitudes detected during the coaching week and the aspirations and interests expressed in the context of individual interviews.
- Check on the ability to pursue, managing time independently, the objectives given and the ability to contribute with personal reflections and innovative ideas.
- Problem solving attitude.
- Relational skills, motivation, accuracy, order and punctuality.
In particular, it was requested to
- Identify a target audience and channels to convey communication.
- Communication methods (overall graphic image, colors, type of promotional supports)
- Preparation of cost analysis and supplier recognition with possible study of forms of co-marketing to optimize and contain costs.
- Development of social communication
- Special initiatives and collateral events